Monday 17 June 2013

work work work... all night long... work work work while I sing this song

Today was Phil's last Monday
tomorrow will be his last Tuesday
the day after will be his last Wednesday
and so on

we're pretty much there, the finish line is a short 15 days away... well, technically I'll be full time this Friday at the end of the work day, but it really makes a difference on the day after Canada day (July 2nd for you non Canucks) when Dawn walks in

so far the reaction has been quite positive. I've talked to most people that matter on my day to day life, fielded the same couple questions fifty times (lol), and the rest of the company has had it confirmed by someone by now. A number of people use my new name and pronouns already, everything is lined up at work w/r to my login, email address, security badge, etc, and most of them are all really looking forward to seeing the new me

and what the hell am I gonna wear?!?!?!?!?!?!

As life goes though, I've heard through the grapevine that there are a small number of people who have a real problem with this... calling me "it"... saying that if they walk into the bathroom and I'm there that they're walking out.... won't share an elevator with me... won't want to work with me. Pretty shitty stuff, but I remind myself that there are still people out there who don't want to work with women, with black people, with muslims... there are assholes of all stripes and shades out there, and you can never win them all.

On the good side, from what I understand, the complainers are being told by their friends to cut that shit out cause it's discrimination pure and simple, and they're right, it is. If this stays completely out of my earshot, and doesn't affect my work, well, then I think you can be as phobic and discriminatory as you want as it doesn't affect me... your right to swing your arm stops when it hits my nose. But of course, if it happens in front of me, we're going to have a problem.

You want an easy rule of thumb?, take that comment you heard, or were about to say, about a trans a person and ask yourself, how would it sound if it were directed at a specific racial group?, or a specific cultural group?. If your answer is "well, of course I would't accept / say that!", then chances are, its transphobic when directed at a trans person.

And some people may say "but, that's not the same thing, you're choosing to become a woman", and while that is technically true, I'm no more choosing to be a woman than a gay man is choosing to be gay, or a straight woman is making a conscious choice to be straight. I choose to live my life, and change my body with hormones to match what I feel, just like a gay man loves another man because that is what he feels, and a straight woman loves a man because that is what she feels.

I would in fact say that sexuality and identity super-cedes race and culture, and we all know that we shouldn't judge / joke / assume about each other's races or cultures don't we?. We all know that on a chromosomal level there is no such thing as race, it's nothing more than different physical traits passed down throughout the history of time from different stripes of human beings. Culture is completely man made and thereby is not natural or inborn, and religion is simply an aspect of culture. Out of all these things, your sexuality and your gender identity is something you are born with, the rest, you are born into.

So yeah, all that to say, things are pretty good. While I have my five minutes of panic every day or two about what I'm about to do (oh my god I'm really going to walk into a meeting in makeup and jewelry and my bra and oh my god wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf everyone is gonna look and no one is gonna take me seriously PANIC PANIC PANIC EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!!!!)

then I realize I'm getting silly, and I think about all the challenges I've already surpassed, and how life just keeps getting better after each one, and I know I'll make it through this one.

but seriously... what the hell am I going to wear?!!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!??!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment